Tuesday, November 15, 2011

"The Adventures of Nanny Piggins" by R.A. Spratt

What a fun read! This title was recommended in a librarian’s training session on selecting books for young readers. I must admit that I am probably not considered a “young reader” by anyone’s definition, however the title and cover art drew me in immediately. I would describe this story as a charming mix of Mary Poppins, Nanny McPhee and A Series of Unfortunate Events books all rolled into one, minus the darkness and impending doom of the Unfortunate titles. I actually laughed out loud a few times (I know that's difficult to believe from me).

I thoroughly enjoyed this unforgettable walk through a fantasy world where a chocoholic pig could ring the doorbell and inquire about a nanny position. Sure beats her former job as a circus performer! Don't even bother to ask about the cannon or the ballet dancing bear. Just sit back and relax. Nanny Piggins has everything under control. Rumor has it that a second installment of the porcine nanny’s adventures is in the works to be released next summer.

Recommended for Grades 3-6.
240 pages

Book review by Mel, Branch Manager at the Library Station.

No comments:

Post a Comment